When: Tuesday, 14 May 2019, 16.00-19.00
Where: Permanent Representation of the Czech Republic to the EU, Rue Caroly 15, 1050 Brussels, Belgium
“The civil society perspective: Taking stock of 10 years of the EaP policy and strategizing for after 2020 – Democracy, Human Rights, Good Governance and Stability”
The event aims to provide an assessment of the Eastern Partnership policy, with a focus on the efficiency of delivery and its impact on the chronic problems in the region – including corruption, respect to human rights, rule of law and the state of judiciary. The civil society will also discuss the future of the EaP policy with regard to the upcoming changes within the EU institutions in 2019 but also beyond 2020, when the new policy roadmap will have to be put in place. EaP CSF policy paper on the EaP outlook beyond 2020 and civil society recommendations to the policy makers will provide the background for the debate.
On the course of the EaP policy implementation, the civil society has become an indispensable partner of the EU institutions, EU member states and most of the EaP governments. The dialogue between the stakeholders and civil society has grown in a complex way. At the same time, the civil society has been acting as guardian of democratic principles, transparency, accountability and adherence to human rights, while facing various levels of risks.
The world café debate will present and test the conclusions and recommendations articulated in the EaP CSF policy paper “The civil society perspective: Taking stock of 10 years of the EaP policy and looking beyond 2020”. EaP CSF developed the paper within a comprehensive consultation procedure that involved over 50 organisations and members. Together with stakeholders, experts and civil society representatives we will discuss in an interactive format how to improve the EaP policy after 2020, as well as the involvement and performance of the civil society. Two stakeholders, experts and civil society representatives will be placed in the corners of the room and the moderator will ask them the same questions in several rounds. Their different expertise and perspectives on the same issues will enrich the world café debate and enable the audience to step into face-to-face conversation, as well as share their opinion via the interactive Sli.do tool with results projected in real time.
15:30 – 16:00 Registration and Welcome Coffee
16:00 – 17:30 High-level Panel
How can we collectively ensure that the reforms in EaP countries are going on with a good pace? What new ideas and approaches can we identify to maximize the impact of civil society on the EaP policy programming, implementation, monitoring and evaluation? What should be the key priorities of the EaP policy for after 2020?
- Tomáš Petříček, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Armenia
- Thomas Mayr-Harting, Managing Director for Europe and Central Asia, European External Action Service (EEAS)
- Leila Alieva, EaP CSF Working Group 1 Member, Oxford University
Moderator: Natalia Yerashevich, Director of Secretariat, EaP CSF
17:35 – 19:00 World Café Style Debate
17:35 – 17:45 Kick-off Input – presenting the EaP CSF Policy Paper
- Tania Marocchi, EaP Index and Membership Manager, EaP CSF
- Věra Řiháčková Pachta, Advocacy Manager, EaP CSF
17:45 – 19:00 World Café Style Debate
- Magdalena Grono, Advisor, Cabinet of the President of the European Council, Donald Tusk
- Radosław Darski, Deputy Head of the Eastern Partnership Division, European External Action Service (EEAS)
- Cristina Gherasimov, Research Fellow, Robert Bosch Center for Central and Eastern Europe, Russia, and Central Asia, German Council on Foreign Relations (DGAP)
- Sinikukka Saari, Senior Associate Analyst, European Union Institute for Security Studies (EUISS)
Civil Society Corner:
- Lousineh Hakobyan, EaP CSF Working Group 1 Member, Europe in Law Association, Armenia
- Ion Manole, EaP CSF Working Group 1 Member, Promo-LEX, Moldova
Moderator: Juulia Baer-Bader, Communications Manager, EaP CSF
19:00 Glass of Wine