“Quantum of progress: charting EaP countries’ trajectory towards European Integration, Democratic Reforms, and Sustainable Development”
The Eastern Partnership Civil Society Forum (EaP CSF) cordially invites you to the Brussels launch of the latest edition of its Eastern Partnership Index, which charts the Eastern Partnership countries’ progress towards European integration, democratic reforms and sustainable development.
The EaP Index maps out where the Eastern Partnership countries stand in terms of Approximation to key EU norms and international standards and Linkage between business, civil society, citizens and governments in the EaP and EU countries. While Eastern Partnership Countries’ Linkage to the EU has overall improved during 2017, progress in Approximation to key EU norms and international standards is slow at best and reversed at worst. Moldova, in particular, recorded the worst backsliding in the region, dropping 0.7 points in Approximation, mainly due to the worsening of political capture in the judiciary, crackdown on media independence and declining state accountability.
With Parliamentary elections in Moldova scheduled shortly before our Index launch, the time is critical to debate Index results and evaluate lessons learnt. What approach should the EU adopt in their relations with Moldova? How could have Moldova’s backsliding been avoided? What picture do Index results paint of the EaP region? What are the limits of the current approach in relation to the whole region? What role can the European institutions, and civil society, play to ensure the sustainability of reforms? EaP experts and EU officials will discuss, with the audience, the main results of the Eastern Partnership Index and future prospects for the region.
9.00-9.15 Registration and coffee
9.15-9.30 Welcome Remarks
- Anastasija Ismailova, COEST Delegate, Lithuanian Permanent Representation to the EU
- Natalia Yerashevich, Director, Eastern Partnership Civil Society Forum (EaP CSF)
9.30-10.00 Introduction to the EaP Index – methodology, results, main take-aways
- Jeff Lovitt, EaP Index Chief Editor, Chair, New Diplomacy
- Tania Marocchi, EaP Index Project Manager, EaP CSF
10.00 – 11.30 Panel Discussion: Ensuring the sustainability of reforms – what lessons can we learn from Moldova and Armenia?
- Iulian Groza, Executive Director, Institute for European Reform (IPRE)
- Boris Navasardian, President, Yerevan Press Club
- Katarzyna Sobieraj, Desk Officer, DG NEAR, European Commission
- Tania Marocchi, EaP Index Project Manager, EaP CSF (moderator)
11.30 – 13.00 Panel Discussion: Bench-marking the state of democracy in the EaP region
- Radoslaw Darski, Deputy Head of Division, EEAS
- Tamar Khidasheli, Human Rights Lawyer
- Oleksandr Sushko, Executive Director, International Renaissance Foundation (IRF)
- Jeff Lovitt, EaP Index Chief Editor, Chair, New Diplomacy (moderator)
This event is kindly supported by the Lithuanian Permanent Representation to the EU.
Please make sure you bring a valid piece of ID with you to access the building.