When: Tuesday, 23 January 2018, 15:00-19.00
Where: Permanent Representation of the Czech Republic to the EU,
Rue Caroly 15, 1050, Brussels
We cordially invite you to the presentation of the book “Eastern Partnership Index 2015-2016: Charting Progress in European Integration, Democratic Reforms, and Sustainable Development”. The Eastern Partnership Index 2015-2016 presents through data and analysis the comparative performance of the six Eastern Partnership (EaP) countries in terms of:
- Approximation in the fields of Democracy and Human Rights, EU Integration and Convergence, and Sustainable Development, and
- Linkage in the fields of International Security, Political Dialogue and Co-operation, Sectoral Co-operation and Trade Flows, and Citizens in Europe.
The results, combining a fully up-to-date narrative alongside data and scores that provide a snapshot for the period from March 2015 to December 2016, contribute to key debates in the EU and the EaP countries around:
- Is there now a two-speed Eastern Partnership with the Association Agreement countries on track for closer and deeper European integration?
- Which countries are improving, and which are backtracking on media freedom, free and fair elections, the fight against corruption, and human rights?
- Which countries are most open to investment and amenable to doing business, and are they those that have signed the DCFTA agreements with the EU? If not, why not?
- Are the EaP countries meeting the targets for the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)?
- Can the EU be a player in resolving ongoing conflicts in the region, and can engagement with the EU’s Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP) bring greater security to the EaP countries?
15:00-15:15 Opening remarks
- Ambassador Tomáš Szunyog, Representative to the Political and Security Committee, Permanent Representation of the Czech Republic
15:15-15:30 Opening session
INTRODUCTION TO THE INDEX: Methodology, Trends, Main Conclusions
- Rasa Uzdavinyte, Programme Manager, Eastern Partnership Index
- Jeff Lovitt, Chair, New Diplomacy, Editor-in-Chief, Eastern Partnership Index
15:30-16.45 Panel discussion
EUROPEAN INTEGRATION, TRADE, AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT: Can the Association Agreements and DCFTAs Have a Transformational Effect?
- Manana Kochladze, Green Alternative, Georgia
- Veronica Movchan, Institute for Economic Research and Policy Consulting (IER), Ukraine
Moderator: Denis Cenusa, Expert-Grup, Moldova
Discussant: Artem Remizov, Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS)
16.45-17.00 Coffee break
17.00-18.00 Panel discussion
DEMOCRACY, HUMAN RIGHTS, INTERNATIONAL SECURITY: Can Common Approaches be Found to Strengthen Human Rights and Security?
- Kateryna Zarembo, New Europe Center, Ukraine
- Tamuna Khidasheli, human rights lawyer from Georgia
Moderator: Boris Navasardyan, Yerevan Press Club, Armenia
Discussant: Iskra Kirova, Open Society European Policy Institute (OSEPI)
18.00-19.00 Networking reception
Please register here by 20 January 2018.
The Eastern Partnership Index 2015-2016 is a continuation of the European Integration Index for Eastern Partnership Countries, building on the strong focus on the European integration process, and updating the index to reflect the challenges of sustainable development, human rights and democracy, security and international co-operation in a tense political region. The project, led by the Eastern Partnership Civil Society Forum, is funded by Open Society Foundations, the International Renaissance Foundation, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic. Previous editions of the Index can be found at www.eap-index.eu.